International Journal of Palliative Nursing, Vol. 19, Iss. 5, 24 May 2013, pp 244 - 249
In 2008 a small group of people in the UK were brought together at the invitation of the charity Help the Hospices and with the support of the National Patient Safety Agency to create a falls prevention and management toolkit. The purpose of the toolkit was to assist hospices to manage and if possible prevent falls in their in-patient units and day care centres. This Falls Prevention Working Group put together a policy, care plan, and incident report form designed to enable an accurate and effective assessment of patients' needs and minimise harm while supporting patient independence. A draft version of the toolkit was trialled by nine hospices in 2009. Following revision, a final version was published on the Help the Hospices and Patient Safety First websites in 2010 and introduced with workshops in two separate locations in the UK. This paper provides an overview of the development process and presents evidence, albeit limited, that in-patient falls in hospices are reducing. The toolkit provides outcome measures of better patient care in falls management and prevention.
Why purchase a paper only subscription?
- Read high quality peer-reviewed articles such as this and many more covering all aspects of pallitative care in a way which is clear, easy-to-read and useful to your daily practice.
- IJPN contains the best clinical reviews, original research and evidence-based articles available to palliative care nurses to ensure that you are kept fully up to date with the latest developments taking place in palliative nursing practice.
- Get IJPN delivered regularly to your door, subscribe online now and receive an exclusive discount on your subscription!
Alternatively, download this article now!
The full-text of this article is available to download at www.internurse.com.
internurse.com is the UK’s largest archive of nursing articles containing over 14,500 articles dating back to 1996 from 13 prestigious and peer-reviewed journals published by MA Healthcare, including International Journal of Palliative Nursing, British Journal of Community Nursing, British Journal of Nursing, Journal of Wound Care and Practice Nursing. For a full list of journals contained on internurse.com, please visit http://www.internurse.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/library/journals.html.
- Subscribe to internurse.com
Subscribe to internurse and take full advantage of the complete internurse archive including IJPN for a year
- 24 hour access to internurse.com
Take out our 24 hour access to the entire internurse archive including IJPN for a day
- Simply purchase this article