International Journal of Palliative Nursing, Vol. 19, Iss. 5, 24 May 2013, pp 227 - 234
Advance care planning (ACP) is a process being championed within health and social care, particularly since the publication of the UK Department of Health's 2008 End of Life Care Strategy. However, its implementation in dementia care is yet to be fully realised and can pose significant ethical and legal dilemmas for the generic and specialist workforce, the patient themselves, and their family or loved ones. Challenges may be attributable to inadequate communication, capacity issues, missed opportunities, and the perception that dementia is not a life-limiting illness. The aim of this paper is to highlight the benefits of ACP for individuals with dementia while appraising the recognised barriers to assist in developing some realistic recommendations for future practice.
Why purchase a paper only subscription?
- Read high quality peer-reviewed articles such as this and many more covering all aspects of pallitative care in a way which is clear, easy-to-read and useful to your daily practice.
- IJPN contains the best clinical reviews, original research and evidence-based articles available to palliative care nurses to ensure that you are kept fully up to date with the latest developments taking place in palliative nursing practice.
- Get IJPN delivered regularly to your door, subscribe online now and receive an exclusive discount on your subscription!
Alternatively, download this article now!
The full-text of this article is available to download at www.internurse.com.
internurse.com is the UK’s largest archive of nursing articles containing over 14,500 articles dating back to 1996 from 13 prestigious and peer-reviewed journals published by MA Healthcare, including International Journal of Palliative Nursing, British Journal of Community Nursing, British Journal of Nursing, Journal of Wound Care and Practice Nursing. For a full list of journals contained on internurse.com, please visit http://www.internurse.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/library/journals.html.
- Subscribe to internurse.com
Subscribe to internurse and take full advantage of the complete internurse archive including IJPN for a year
- 24 hour access to internurse.com
Take out our 24 hour access to the entire internurse archive including IJPN for a day
- Simply purchase this article